Whenever I make quinoa for a recipe, it never ceases to amaze me how it makes five times as much as I plan for every single time, so there is usually a big container in the fridge for the next day or two. There isn’t always a plan for the leftovers, but the other day I was craving fried rice. So I had (plenty of) quinoa, happened to have all the traditional veggies in the fridge, and even found some little salad shrimp in the freezer. (I wish I had fresh shrimp in the fridge instead, but it just wasn’t in the stars that day). Nonetheless, here’s what I whipped up.
NOTE: This can be made into a vegetarian meal by substituting diced, baked tofu instead of the shrimp. ANOTHER NOTE: I recommend cooking the quinoa in stock instead of water to give it more flavor.
RECIPE: Shrimp Fried Quinoa
- 3-4 cups leftover quinoa, chilled
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 8 green onions, chopped (reserve 2 TBSP)
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ lb cooked salad shrimp or cooked large shrimp diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 TBSP teriyaki sauce
- 4 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 TBSP safflower or light olive oil for stir frying